There is totally still time to whip up these sweet treats for your sweet! I also fully support going to Starbucks and buying the Valentine’s Day cookies they are selling (which was the inspiration for the design on these cookies) and telling your Starbucks lover that you made them.
- Follow this recipe to create heart shaped sugar cookies, once your cookies are cooled it is time to decorate.
- Make a batch of royal icing and separate it into three bowls, keep one bowl white, tint one bowl with red food gel and the other with pink food gel.
- Place the white royal icing in a pastry bag fitted with a small round decorating tip.
- Outline Icing: Place half of the red icing in a pastry bag and half of the pink icing in another pastry bag. I don’t use decorating tips for my outlining or flooding icings.
- Flooding Icing: With the remaining pink and red icing, add a tablespoon or more of water to get a runny consistency. Place each icing in a separate pastry bag.
- Decorate your cookies with either pink or red icing. Using the outline consistency icing outline your cookie, allow it to set for a minute and then using the flood consistency icing fill in the middle, use a toothpick to ensure it is touching the outline and to remove any bubbles, then gently shake your cookie from side-to-side to achieve a smooth finish. Set the cookie aside to harden for at least an hour. Repeat this with the remaining cookies.
- Once the cookies have hardened, using the white icing pipe X’s and O’s onto each cookie.
- Allow the cookies to dry overnight before packaging them.