Have you seen 12 Dates of Christmas with Zach Morris?! There is a scene where they bake Cherry Chip Loaf, actually several — it is a Groundhog’s Day type movie, since then I’ve been obsessed with tracking down a recipe for Cherry Chip Loaf. It was harder than you would think, I almost believe that they made up the name Cherry Chip Loaf just for the movie because it sounded so cute and chipper! I found and tried one recipe, but didn’t love the results, a pink banana bread without many cherry chunks. So I combined my favorite banana bread with a few extra mix ins, like chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts to create my own version of Cherry Chip Loaf!
1 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Mashed Ripe Bananas (3 to 4 medium)
1/3 cup Water
1 2/3 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
2 cups Chocolate Chips
1 jar of Maraschino Cherries, drain well and halve each cherry
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1-2 tablespoons of Milk
- Grease mini loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Cream together butter and sugar in stand mix.
- Add eggs and blend.
- Add bananas and water, blend.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mix until incorporated.
- Stir in nuts, cherries and chocolate chips.
- Fill each mini loaf pan half full with batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, start checking at 20 minutes for doneness by inserting a toothpick.
- When done, cool completely and drizzle with glaze, if you desire.
After my mini loaves of Cherry Chip Bread were baked, I sealed them in cellophane bags with a impulse sealer to keep them fresh. Then I wrapped them in sparkly tissue paper with a big bow and Santa gift tag. These made the perfect neighbor gifts last year!