I am sure you have had horrible egg nog, everyone has, which is so unfortunate because egg nog is delicious, especially this one! It took me a bit to perfect it! I tried several recipes over the years, some were too complicated. Other used so much booze, it was overpowering, plus for those who fancy a bit extra it is always easiest to add an extra splash. I found several recipes that wasted the egg whites. The recipe below is a family favorite, that my brother and I have been making every Christmas Eve for years!
Yields approximately 14-15 cups
2 quarts (8 cups) Whole Milk
2 2/3 cups Sugar
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract, I use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
16 Large Eggs, separated
4 cups Cold Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Bourbon, I use Bulleit Bourbon
1/2 cup Dark Rum, I use Gosling’s Rum
Nutmeg, for sprinkling
- Heat milk, sugar and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until sugar has dissolved.
- In a separate, large bowl, whisk egg yolks together.
- Pour hot milk mixture into the yolks in a slow, steady stream, whisking to ensure the yolks are not cooked by the hot milk mixture.
- Return the yolk and milk mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Approximately 2o+ minutes, be patient, it will thicken!
- Whisk in 2 cups of heavy cream and the bourbon and rum. Cool completely in a covered container.
- Before serving, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into mixture. Whip remaining heavy cream until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired.
Tip #1: Use a very large saucepan and a very large bowl, it will make your life so much easier.
Tip #2: This recipe makes enough servings to serve a large crowd, around 20 people, since egg nog is so rich, most people will only have a small glass. Halve or quarter the recipe if you are not planning on making it for a big crowd.
Tip #3: Omit the alcohol for a kid-friendly version and serve next to a bottle of your choice of alcohol for the adults who wish to add a splash or two!