36.5″ x 11.5″ x 1.5″ Piece of Styrofoam (similar)
Ice Cream Garland (similar)
Banner (I ordered a 1.7′ x 3′ banner from Vistaprint)
Party Balloons (I purchased mine from Target)
Staple Gun and Staples
- Using four zip ties, attach two crates together. Then using four more zip ties, attach the third crate to the first and second.
- Attach a dowel to the left side of the crate using two zip ties. Repeat on the right side.
- Using a staple gun, staple a banner to the front of the connected crates.
- Option A: Attach a garland to the dowels.
- Option B: Measure the width of your attached crates and add 2-4 inches to that measurement. Cut a piece of foam board to 12 inches by your length measurement. Using a pair of scissors, carefully insert the scissors into the base of the foam and turn the scissors to create an opening for the dowels. Slide your foam onto the dowels to create your sign. Add your chosen phrase using paint, letters cut from paper or in my case, balloons!
Tips for my fellow DIY Mavens:
- Make sure you use heavy duty zip ties;
- If you opt for balloons on your sign, use duck tape that matches the foam (I used white duck tape) for a durable and chic look;
- Buy extra foam, you may have trouble creating holes in the foam for the dowels and mistakes happen.