When Olive turned one I threw her a swan themed BARKday PAWty, invited all her FURiends to our house to play and baked her a homemade birthday cake. I went a little bit overboard topping the cake with treats, but I couldn’t help myself and it turned out super cute! I wrote the recipe down when I was mixing everything together and wanted to share it with you. I added diced apples to the cake which was inspired by apple pumpkin muffins my grandmother used to make for me as a child.
The recipe I created makes one 6″ cake and 12 muffins. We served the muffins at the party and I had the cake on display. The dogs devoured the muffins and didn’t leave a single crumb behind! So they are dog approved and definitely dog mom approved, since they are so easy to bake. I ended up saving the cake for Olive to have a true smash cake moment the next day, since we had enough muffins for all the dogs who came to her party. However, since she is a bit of diva when it comes to getting peanut butter in her fur she didn’t devour the cake like I had imagined and instead opted to have another muffin.
1 medium apple – peeled, cored and diced
2 medium bananas, mashed
3 large eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 cup water
3 tablespoons baking soda
Olive oil spray
Optional: Additional peanut butter to frost the cake and dog treats to decorate the cake.
Makes one 6″ cake and twelve muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 6″ cake pan and a 12 cup muffin pan with olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl combine all wet ingredients (apple, banana, eggs, peanut butter and water).
- In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients (flour, oats and baking soda).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, add a scoop of the batter in each muffin cup and pour the remaining batter into the 6″ cake pan.
- Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Place the 6″ cake on a sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow the cake and muffins to cool completely in the pan. Remove the cake and muffins from the pan. Decorate with peanut butter and dog treats.
Please note, I feel comfortable feeding my dogs all of the ingredients in this recipe, but please omit or substitute items as you see fit or ask your veterinarian if you have additional concerns.