While I can assure you that if I threw a Fruity Fiesta, I would l-o-v-e to deck out the party with super-sized piñata in every fruit imaginable, I am sure my party guests would not enjoy the lack of mingling room it would provide. Luckily, I can satisfy my fruit piñata craving, provide substantial room for mingling and give each guest a little something to take home with them, all thanks to these Mini Watermelon Piñatas!
Black Card Stock
Clear Packing Tape
Hot Glue and Glue Gun
Candy, Treats and/or Small Toys (to fill the piñata with, I used these sour watermelon candies)
- Print out the template, cut out the triangle shape, trace it on to the lightweight cardboard twice and cut out two triangles. Out of the lightweight cardboard also cut out several strips, approximately 1 inch wide.
- Assemble the piñata base. Using packing tape, attach the strips to one of the triangles to create a triangle shaped box, if you are planning to add anything to the inside of your piñata, now is the time to do so. Place the other triangle on top of the box you created and attache with packing tape.
- Using double-sided tape attach pieces of tissue paper/streamers/crepe paper to the piñata base to cover all of the cardboard. Cover the top two-thirds of the piñata base with pink, and the bottom third with dark green.
- Create the decorative fringe. Using fringe scissors, cut and fringe the streamers leaving approximately ½ inch of uncut steamer at the top, this space is where you will attach your fringe to the mini piñata. Note: If you are using crepe paper or tissue paper, you will need to cut the paper into 1½ inch strips and then fringe.
- Using a hot glue gun attach the fringed tissue paper/streamers/crepe paper to the piñata base, starting at the bottom with the dark green and working your way up to the top. I did one row of dark green, one of light green and the rest in pink. You want to place your first row of fringed tissue paper/streamers/crepe paper, so that it lines up with the bottom of the piñata, the rest of the fringed tissue paper/streamers/crepe paper you add, make sure the bottom of the piece you are adding is approximately ½ inch above the bottom of the last placed fringed tissue paper/streamers/crepe paper.
- Using a hole punch, punch out several dots out of black card stock, these will be the seeds for the watermelon. Attach the dots randomly on the pink area of the piñata.